Open Network Summit April 4-6 Santa Clara, CA
Whelan’s Presentation: Open Source and Open Broadband
“CORD redefines the economics of broadband and is the biggest innovation in the access network since ADSL,” said Greg Whelan, principal at Greywale Insights, “While CORD can’t solve squirrel chews or eliminate make-ready, its elegance is in its simplicity. It really is a game changer for any service provider offering broadband and mobile access.” (LINK)
Published articles on The Future of Broadband; Open Access, CORD and Beyond
Why Google Fiber Has Stumbled, the Lessons to Learn & Why Moving to Fixed Wireless Won’t Solve the Problem (At Light reading Ultra Broadband)
The New ILEC Transformation: To Open Access (Article on Page 4)
From the Open Networking Summit 2017 Santa Clara, CA
Whelan’s Presentation: Open Source and Open Broadband
“The speed at which cloud companies and new entrants introduce services is a fundamental threat for service providers,” said Greg Whelan, Greywale Insights. “Rapid time to market for new services has been a promise of virtualization from its onset. What has been missing is a solution that addresses the hard stuff — simplifying the complex, time consuming, and costly service creation process.”
“Broadband success is all about technologies that enable anyone to provide modern bandwidths to everyone,” said Greg Whelan, Principal Analyst, Greywale Insights. “Cities and buildings face the same barrier to success– the embedded base of wires. The advances in G.fast eliminates this and should fuel broadband success around the globe.”
Central Office Re-Architected as a Datacenter (CORD) Initiative Radically Transforms the Economics of Network Acces
“CORD redefines the economics of broadband and is the biggest innovation in the access network since ADSL,” said Greg Whelan, principal at Greywale Insights, “While CORD can’t solve squirrel chews or eliminate make-ready, its elegance is in its simplicity. It really is a game changer for any service provider offering broadband and mobile access.”
““Incumbent service providers are at a crossroad where the one thing that is clear is business as usual is a death knell,” said Greg Whelan, principal at Greywale Insights, “They need solutions that evolve their business for decades to come.”
October 14, 2015; Calix Accelerates Fiber Migration With Node-Based E3-8G OLT
“Cable companies are facing a perfect storm of business and technical disruptions including gigabit pressure, regulatory encroachment, and a groundswell of community broadband competition, many of which directly impact their access network,” said Greg Whelan, principal of Greywale Insights. “Cable companies need a graceful migration strategy to fiber architectures such as GPON. This migration must be simple and address the entire end-to-end service delivery architecture including the installed base of management systems and customer premise devices, as well as the realities literally on the ground, or in the outside plant.”
August 11, 2015 ADTRAN Lights Up Over 200 Gigabit Communities
“Communities around the globe – from dense urban to sparse rural and everywhere in between – have determined that affordable high-speed broadband is no longer a nicety, but a requirement for economic prosperity and quality of life,” said Greg Whelan, Principal, Greywale Insights. “Deploying fiber rich Gigabit broadband is the logical way to go. It gives the network operator great flexibility to serve business and residences with a range of cost-effective options. We know that when broadband rates increase the global innovation engine creates new compelling applications that drive economic development and improve our lives.” (Full Release)
May 18, 2015 Sckipio and iPhotonix Announce G.fast NFV Partnership
“Service providers around the globe are moving toward gigabit deployments and FTTdp with G.fast offers many with an elegant solution,” said Greg Whelan, principal analyst, Greywale Insights. “Service providers are looking toward virtualization, including in the access network, to address real business drivers beyond data rates such as reducing OPEX and management complexities.” (Full Release) (Coverage Link)
March 30, 2015 KWICR ACCELERATES MOBILE APP PERFORMANCE WITH THE WORLD’S FIRST MOBILE DELIVERY NETWORK
Greg Whelan, Principal Analyst at Greywale Insights said
“Mobile app performance is critical as consumers have little tolerance for sluggishness,” said Greg Whelan of Greywale Insights. “Poor app performance directly impacts business success. CDN’s help but the last 50 miles is best effort. There’s huge variability of network performance particularly over the last 5 miles in both location and time. Solutions that elegantly improve app performance and are transparent to the mobile network operator solve a real business problem for the app provider.” (Full Release)
Greg Whelan, Principal Analyst at Greywale Insights said: “It really is a question of when not if energy issues will impact carriers’ bottom line. A linear correlation between traffic growth and OPEX can’t continue. Adding an energy strategy to the mix is the prudent thing to do. Alcatel Lucent is clearly taking the lead to address these tough issues. Their work at Bell Labs and through GreenTouch™ is setting the agenda for energy aware network architectures.”
Welcome to Greywale Insights. We give our clients unforeseen strategic advantages by:
- Aligning business strategies with technology
- Aligning technology strategies with business drivers
We augment executives’ strengths and enable them to make better decisions faster. If you are a participant in the broadband ecosystem we can accelerate your success by:
- Simplifying the Complex to Gain Strategic Efficiencies
- Creating strategies that address top-of-mind executive care-abouts that combine:
- Longer term emotionally compelling visions and…
- Immediate term strategic messaging and product roadmaps
Leading expert on the Future of Broadband
Our ability to understand and model the intersection of multiple technologies (SDN, Open Source, NFV, CORD, ONOS, XOS, GPON, EPON etc.) and multiple economic forces (Community Broadband, Gigabit Competition, Over-the-Top competition etc.) will result in you achieving the strategic clarity you are seeking.
If you are participating in the broadband ecosystem you should give us a shout.
For Tech Companies that are participating in the CORD/ONOS market or Open Access Broadband Market we can help them with strategic marketing….
- Thought leadership/Set the Industry agenda plans
- Go-to-Market plans (by segment)
- Strategic messaging (telling unique and compelling stories to CxO’s at Tier 1, 2 and 3 SPs (and Cable)
- System and Network Architectures
- Product roadmap alignment
- Ecosystem-wide participating strategies
- Less strategic: Collateral development (Papers, customer presentations, webinars,etc. )
For Service Providers:
- End-to-end System and Network Architectures
- Business and Service Architectures
- System Migration Strategies
- Vendor Selection and Management
- Regulatory and Legal Messaging
- Marketing Plans
Greg Whelan, Principal at Greywale Insights
Educational, Entertaining and Thought Provoking
Asking questions no one ever thought to ask!
The Future of Access: Virtual Access Networks (VAN), Role of the Access in IoT
- The New ILEC Transformation: To Open Access (Article on Page 4)
The CORD Project: Unforeseen Efficiencies – A Truly Unified Access Architecture (@ the Linux Foundation)
- How the CORD Project Will Change the Economics of Broadband (@ the Linux Foundation)
- Cord Impacts the Cable Ecosystem (@LinkedIN)
- GoogleFiber: Just another Over Builder with a Cool Name (@LinkedIN)
- The Battle for the Residential Edge: The Importance of the IoT Hub (IoTSlam 2016 Presentation) Battle for the Residential Edge (Down Load Presentation)
- Virtual Reality – Bandwidth Reality (@LI)
- The Virtual Access Network: A Real Game Changer (@LinkedIN)
- Why Mobile Network Operators are Under Estimating the Threat of Wi-Fi and Voice over Wi-Fi (@LinkedIN)
- 21st Century Access: Beyond Broadband (@ Slideshare)
- The IoT Narrative is WRONG! (at LinkedIN)
- Wi-Fi: The Toy That Grew Up (at Wireless Broadband Association)
- Telecommunication 2025 Looks Like…. (At LinkedIN)
- Verizon are you future looking binoculars blurry? You’re on a fast lane to Tier-2 status. (At LinkedIN)
- Access Insights (TM): At the intersection of SP Business and Technology (At LinkedIN)
- Verizon: Selling Fixed Network Assets: WTF (At LinkedIN)
- The Future of Broadband CPE: Part I (@ LinkedIN)
- Virtualization: There’s Got To Be More: (@ SDN Central)
- Nokia and Alcatel-Lucent: Who Should Buy Who? (At ACG)
- Regulations: Be Careful What You Wish For! (At LinkedIN)
- Voice over Wi-Fi: Presentation on Slideshare (here)
- Voice over Wi-Fi Cable vs. MNOs (At LinkedIN)
- How big a threat is VoWi-Fi to the MNO? (At LinkedIN)
- Video Version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8yOiCCUJKk
- Virtualization: There’s got to be more! (At Linked IN)
- Video Version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBVtU2X2buU
- Cord Cutting/Shaving Discussion
- Cloud (Network) PVR Discussion
- SDN and NFV: Deja Vu All Over Again: What Vendors Need to Do (At SDN Central)
- The Next Cord Cutting; Real Cord Cutting
- Open Internet + Fast Lane: A Win for Consumers: Yet Trust but Verify
- VoLTE: Is it Worth the Investment
- Boston IoT Summit Meeting Notes
- IoT, A Market of Everything
- Network PVR a Win for Service Providers and Consumers
- Community Broadband Options (At Slideshare)
- IoT, Internet of Things. What’s a Thing?
- Net Neutrality Over-Ruled: It’s a win for everyone!
- How many years will the “Year of SDN” last?
- Untapped Service Provider Real Estate Assets
- If SP’s become a dumb pipe everyone loses: Including Google
- SDN Deployment Challenges
- SDN: Nothing to See Here, Move Along
- The Value of the Network is not Zero
- Apple: 10% Market Share in Smart Device: I’ve Seen this Movie Before
- The inevitability of SDN
- The Settop Box: Love or Hate? Still a Missed Opportunity
- High-end Settop Box Strategy? Is this Possible?
- What percentage of the smart phone potential have we seen?
Greywale Insights in Action: AllSeen Alliance Summit: Panel Discussion on The Role of The Service Provider in IoT: Beyond Best Effort Connectivity (Click for YouTube Video)
Greywale Insights at Comcast Business Analyst Day
Service Provider Energy Strategy
- New Set-top Box Energy Efficiency Agreement in Effect (PDF)
- Network Energy a Top Focus at Alcatel-Lucent Bell Labs (PFD)
- The Greywale Service Provider Energy Strategy Taxonomy (PDF)
- Greywale – SP Energy Strategy (PDF)
- Toward a Low Energy LTE Cellular Network: Architecture
- TIA Meeting Notes (Complimentary Download)
- A Telco Energy Strategy Should Demand Zero Impact on Services
- Service Provider Energy Efficiency (SPEE) is Inevitable
- Energy Management: Focus of Nokia Seimens
Technology Marketing Strategy
- Vision vs. Roadmap
- Vision vs. Roadmap (Part II)
- Powerpoint Addiction: A Symptom of Global ADD
- ADD is a Global Phenomena
- First to Market Paradox (Part I)
- Solution Marketing – Ensuring 1+1 > 2
- Solution Marketing – Ensuring 1+1 > 2 (Part II)
- Acquisitions: Don’t Forget the Vision and the Messaging
- Everything is a Solution: There’s no such thing as a point product
- Innovation vs. Invention
- Marketing is all about the color gray
- The Myth of Numbers
- Social Media Marketing: The Billboard Metaphor
- Social Media Platforms = Infrastructure?
- CMO: Best Friends with the CIO or CTO? Or Both?
Our View of Community Broadband
What is Conceptual Analysis?
What does Conceptual Analysis Do?
What are the results of Conceptual Analysis
Greywale Insights provides the Communication Service Providers ecosystem (CSPs, Equipment Vendors and Semiconductor companies) with technology, market and business strategy services. We accelerate your business with proven methodologies that strive for “pennies per share” successes.
We create the bridge from tomorrow’s aspirational technology-driven business goals with today’s realities at street level. We eliminate the barriers and break the silo’s that cause indecision and stagnation. Today’s markets move at hyper-speed, you need to too!
Greywale Insights provides powerful multi-dimensional Go-to-Market strategies. We build and manipulate entire industry eco-systems and value chains to impel your business forward. We work with our customers to set the industry agenda by creating actionable thought leadership programs.
If you’re focused on Mobility, Broadband, IoT, and/or Telco Energy Markets give us a call today.
Greywale Communiqués give you timely analysis of industry news and issues related to energy issues affecting network operators across the globe. They provide terse salient summaries, key points to consider and tangible recommendations for participants across the ecosystem.
11 April 2014 IOT Boston Meeting Notes 40914
25 February 2014 5G summit Communique (PDF)
15 January 2014 Network Energy a Top Focus at Alcatel-Lucent Bell Labs (PDF)
6 January 2014 Video Set-Top Box Energy Efficiency Standard Goes Into Effect (PDF)